Recover More Gold With The Best Sluice Box
If you’ve been panning gold for any period of time, you may find that it’s time to move on to using a sluice box.
A sluice box is a very common tool used by new and seasoned prospectors to find gold. They’re designed to be used in a stream or a river and have been used all over the world for centuries.
If you want to see a quick run down on how a sluice box works, read my post How To Use A Sluice Box.
There have certainly been improvements since the first sluice boxes, but the overall concept of how a sluice box works has not changed. Sluice boxes are excellent tools for today’s gold prospector who wants to clean approximately 5 to 10 times more material than using a gold pan
Which Sluice Box Is Right For You.
There are many different kinds of sluice boxes available, and all of them are capable of helping you find gold. As a matter of fact, making your own sluice box is a pretty simple process that anyone can do. But buying a modern sluice box that’s made out of lightweight material and built to last will pay dividends in no time.
The thing to decide is which sluice box is right for you. Are you a beginner prospector? Or are you experienced and moving a lot more material? I having a portable sluice box important or will you be set up in one spot?
Best Portable Sluice Box
How many times have you been on a hike deep into the woods or down at the bottom of a ravine and thought to yourself, man this would be a great location to run my sluice. Well, now there’s no reason you can’t. With a portable sluice box you can now recover gold in those out of the way locations.
Royal Folding Backpack Sluice Box
- Well constructed product that will fit into a standard sized backpack or five-gallon plastic bucket
- Easily opens/unfolds from a compact portable sluice into a full size sluice box.
- Folding and self locking
- Lightweight and excellent as a backpacking sluice box.
Best Sluice Box For Fine Gold Recovery
Every little bit of gold counts, so don’t risk losing the really fine gold. If you’re planning on using a sluice box, make sure you have a sluice box for fine gold recovery.
Le Trap River Robber Sluice Box
- Le trap sluices are 46″ long and 15″ wide and will hold the finest flour gold as well as large nuggets
- The sluice can be configured as either a bank robber or a river robber style sluice
- Sold a a bank robber. If you take a saw and cut the back off the inlet side it becomes a river robber
- The Le Trap sluice is made of high impact ABS plastic and withstands a lot of wear and tear, but can easily be repaired with abs glue
- The riffles are two-step with a ramp which allows the sluice to be self-cleaning
What Is A Sluice Box?
A sluice box is a device that can help you recover more gold faster. When you place a gold sluice box in a stream or a river, it uses the water flowing through it to separate the dirt and gravel from the gold. The sluice box then traps the fine gold behind riffles in the bottom of the sluice box.
How Does A Sluice Box Work?
Most gold sluice boxes are made out of lightweight metal and contain a removable riffle tray. The sluice box riffle tray sits on top of a carpet that traps the fine pieces of gold.
When the time comes to clean out your sluice box and collect the gold, you pull out the riffle tray and wash the carpet out inside your bucket. The fine material that was trapped in the carpet will then be in your bucket for you to easily pan out later.