Best Places To Find Petrified Wood
Have you ever looked down on the ground and a rock caught your eye? But when you pick it up you notice somethings different about it. Then you look a little closer and see that it’s not even a rock. Or is it? It looks just like a piece of wood. It has wood grain just like a piece of wood would have.
But its hard like a stone, and solid as a rock. That’s because what you’ve found in fact used to be a piece of wood. But over millions of years, that piece of wood became a fossil.
Petrified Wood Is An Example Of What Type Of Fossil?
Petrified wood is an example of altered remains type of fossil.
Petrified wood forms when trees that die millions of years ago fell and became covered in mud, sand and water. Over time, minerals seeped into the wood of the trees depositing minerals. Eventually, the wood rotted away and the only the minerals remained. The trees “turned to rock,” or became petrified. This entire process is called petrification.
Unlike other types of fossils which are typically impressions or compressions, petrified wood is a three-dimensional representation of the original organic material.
Why Collect Petrified Wood
So why do so many people like to collect petrified wood? One of the most popular reasons is because petrified wood is considered a gemstone.
Just like other gemstones, you can polish petrified wood and create things like jewelry and even furniture. In some instances, petrified wood is even considered very valuable and can be sold for quite a profit.
Best Places To Find Petrified Wood
There are many places you can find petrified wood. As a matter of fact, there are entire petrified forests. But if you’re looking for specimens to add to your collection, or turn into jewelry, then you may want to turn to places that are designed for just this kind of thing.
Where To Find Petrified Wood In Oregon – Paid Locations
Below is a list of locations in Oregon that you can pay to dig petrified wood.
“Holleywood Ranch in Holley, Oregon is home of some of the highest grade petrified wood in the Pacific Northwest. Researchers have identified 65 species on the property so far! Many of which were said to be among some of the highest quality and widest variety found worldwide!”
Holleywood Ranch near Sweet Home, Oregon offers two different ways you can buy petrified wood. For the adventurous, Holleywood Ranch allows you to dig for the petrified wood yourself on their property. Then you pay a per pound fee for the petrified wood. At the time of writing this post, they were charging $1.50 per pound.
For a look at what it’s like to spend a day digging up petrified wood at the Holleywood Ranch, check out this post from Northwestrevealed.com. It looks like they had a great time out there!
Where To Find Petrified Wood In Oregon – Free Locations
- On the west side of the cascades there is petrified wood in most stream beds from Eugene to Portland / from the coast to the foot hills of Mill city. I have found a lot of petrified wood and agates while canoeing and fishing on the Willamette River.
- East of Mill city there are basalt layers covering the Petrified wood. From a Gas station called Little Sweden East to Black Butte is a basalt flow that is about 25 million years old! Above 1800 Ft. in this area there is petrified bamboo as well, although it is very rare to find.
- The best hunting on the West side of Oregon is in the foot hills around Sweethome, Lebanon, Scio, Lacomb, Gates and Eugene.
- The material from this area is highly agatized and there is great Cell pattern in most of the material found.
- Crab Tree Creek just east of Scio, Oregon and south of Roger Mt.
- Bear Creek in Central Oregon
- Fischer Canyon
Where To Find Petrified Wood In Texas
Most of Texas is composed of sedimentary rock with layers of volcanic ash. This bodes well for fossil hunters, including those looking for petrified wood in the state of Texas.
Petrified wood can be found all over the state. But below is a list of locations in Texas where you should be able to find petrified wood perhaps a little easier than others.
- College Station/Bryan area of Texas
- Jewett in Leon County, Texas
- Mount Pleasant in Titus County Texas
- Alvoro pyrite locality (Mitchell 1987) in Wise County. It is said that logs of petrified wood are abundant here.
- Area around Jasper, Texas.
- Live Oak County, Texas
Where To Find Petrified Wood In California
- Mule Canyon California
- Boron Travertine in Boron, California
- At this location you can find Travertine, Jasper, Petrified Wood and Palm, and Banded Limestone.
- Rosamond Gem Hill in Rosamond, California.
- Castle Butte Petrified Palm in North Edwards, California.
- You can find Petrified Palm Fiber and Wood, Chapinite, and Jasper here at this location.
- Warner Mountains Obsidian in Eagleville, California
- Here You can collect obsidian, petrified wood, obsidian needles, and gemstones on the east side of the Warner mountains. Search the exposed rock up the many canyons on the east side of the Warner Mountains range. Last I heard, you are limited to surface collecting one bucket per day. Please check regulations before you visit.
Do you know of other locations where you can find petrified wood? We’d love to have you share those with us. Feel free to leave a comment below or email me with your suggestions.